Saturday, October 25, 2014

10/25/14: FURY REVIEW! (Spoiler Free)

This afternoon I saw Fury with my best friend, Jens, who you can see on our channel DaScrubs, and with him being into tanks---especially the Tiger---and really anything involving WWII, that was mainly why he was stoked, but after watching the film, I have to say it's really a lot more.

Keep scrolling to read my review:

Fury Fact Box
Genre(s): War, Drama
Running Time: 134 min (2 hr 14 min)
Starring: Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman, and Shia LaBeouf
Summary: As the war draws to a close, a sergeant leads his five-man squad, including a recruit, and their Tiger tank named "Fury" into Germany to finish the job once and for all and willing to risk anything it takes to do so.
Rating: R
Release Date(s): October 17, 2014
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Director and Writer: David Ayer (End of Watch, Harsh Times)

Brief Plot Overview: The war is concluding and Hitler, as the insane person as he was, did anything and everything as a last effort to defeat the Allies---which included child soldiers---but a winner had already been targeted. Sergeant Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Brad Pitt) leads the last squad of the European Theater, consisting of four other men: Boyd "Bible" Swan (Shia LeBeouf), always praying and at the gun, Trini "Gordo" Garcia (Michael Pena), a good-natured driver, and Grady "Coon-Ass" Travis (Jon Bernthal), a tough-loving, jerk-ish brute of a repairman, and a new recruit as a replacement for the loss of the assistant driver, Norman "Machine" Ellison (Logan Lerman), whose prejudice, lack of self-confidence and skills involving a tank are the first signs of trouble. This especially frustrates Collier, who you can tell's been in this war too long and seen too many things---sick, tired, and determined.
Through heavy and light, their tank "Fury" breaks down on the road. More than a hundred German troops are marching down the road. There's only five men and a tank that can't go anywhere. Ammo is limited. It's going down.

What I Liked: Some people hated the movie, but I particularly enjoyed it. I've seen Saving Private Ryan and that's about as close to war movies as I've really gotten, so it may be just another war movie, but there was something different. First of all, let me just say: the first action movie I've ever seen WITHOUT FRICKING SHAKY CAM! All my life I've been waiting for an action movie that doesn't make me nauseous with the "brilliant" cinematography, and I finally have it.
Next off, it was very intense and realistic, really letting us see the brutality that war brings not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. In fact, I would say this was more of an "anti-war" film to be exact, commentating that war is the darkest side of human nature and makes us ruthless animals in a sense. Logan Lerman, a rising star I can just see the headlines, had a great performance, really Academy-Award-worthy if you ask me, and the development of his character from a coward to a hero (really, all the characters) is played out very well. Ayer made a great war film, showing it all, and never hesitating to steer away from the dark, which made it the most intense movie I've ever seen.

What I Disliked About It: Very little, but it did have a few cliches and some unrealistic parts. A few flaws here and there, mainly why a recruit not even trained for a tank would be assigned to take part in the last squad of the European Theater. But overall, it was an amazing film, very well-made, and Academy-Award-worthy for sure.

Rating:

9.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment