Saturday, October 18, 2014

10/19/14: 6 COOLEST NATURAL PHENOMENA EVER!

Being someone who just sits in his room, staring at a computer screen, occasionally refueling my system with Panda Express and riding my bike around the same route everyday, I think of the world as pretty boring and uninteresting. Unfortunately, it's because I make it to be, but with my Internet navigation, I discovered the planet I'm sitting on with my lazy butt is actually a whole lot cooler than I'd ever imagined.

It's called natural phenomena and here's some of the best around. Again, this is right here on Earth.

Dirty Thunderstorms
This occurs when a thunderstorm and a volcanic eruption merge to one, producing a spectacularly-amazing but drastically dangerous natural phenomena. Obviously, this is rare (as all of these on this list are), but, my God, it looks frickin' amazing.

Fire Rainbows
Aside the fact that this phenomena has nothing to do with fire or rainbows, it's extremely rare, only occurring on specific conditions. The sun must be at least 58 degrees above the horizon when the sky is populated with plate-shaped-ice-crystal-filled cirrus clouds. If you're lucky enough, the name finally comes to life, in which it appears to be a gay pride parade streaked in the clouds like flames.

Finnish Lapland
Most of the phenomena I researched took place in the sky, but this takes place on the ground---a snow-covered ground to be exact. In Finnish Lapland, the northern region of Finland, whenever it snows and/or freezes over, the trees resemble like bizarre frozen monsters protruding from the ground.

Morning Glory Clouds
There were a fair amount of cloud phenomena in my research, such as lenticular, mammatus, and undulatus asperatus clouds, but the Morning Glory ones were the coolest to me. These clouds look like snakes in the sky that can stretch across 1,000 kilometers and occur up to 2 kilometers high in altitude. They're commonly seen, when they do appear, in Burketown, Queensland in Australia every spring. But just be careful if you're an airplane pilot, because things can get shaky.

Red Crabs for Christmas
Not exactly---unless you want red crabs for Christmas---but on Christmas Island, something bizarre happens. I found a few examples of animal phenomena and that's included in natural phenomena, so I'm here to say that more than 40 million crabs migrate annually to lay their eggs in the ocean. This usually lasts a week, in which much of the island is shut down, but if you catch a chance to sneak a peek, it's quite a fascinating sight to see.

Bioluminescene
This visually-breathtaking chemical reaction happens along beaches or shallow ocean areas where, when disturbed, micro organisms glow blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment