Thursday, September 4, 2014

9/4/14: INFLUENCE VS. INSPIRATION

For a long time, I've been wondering what the difference is between being influenced and being inspired. 

Both mean getting something figuratively from someone/something, but they mean different things. 

With some research and my own thinking, I've been able to formulate an answer that I want to share with you. 

I'll list my personal influences and inspirations as well as give my say at what's better. 

Influence: If you're influenced, it changes your life, and this could be the way you think, the way you feel,  the way you do things, what you do, etc. 

Inspiration: If you're inspired, it usually has something to do less figuratively but more literally. For example, if you're inspired by famous artist Salvador Dali, than you'll use his/similar styles and techniques as he into your work. Or if you're inspired by former NBA star Michael Jordan, than you'll use his/similar moves and strategies, studying him. It doesn't necessarily change your life, but you just like it, so you want to do it yourself. 

My Influences: My parents and a few of my teachers, my therapist Scott Brown, several friends, the film Do The Right Thing (1989) and the book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

My Inspirations: I love to write and am inspired by my two favorite authors Jerry Spinelli and John Green. I also like art and pick some up from Andy Warhol, contempary art, and cartooning. Another passion is making YouTube videos and my biggest inspirations are Ryan Higa, Matthew Santoro, and the vlogbrothers, John and Hank Green. 

What's Better? To be influenced is better because it changes you, hopefully for the better, and offers perspectives on life and the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment